Trethowan's Dairy on instagram
- RT @thymegrowers: This weeks toastie special - Gorwydd Caerphilly, wild fennel salami & capers. It's a good one. https://t.co/EOknwQiM3D 2 weeks ago
- Meet the cheesemakers @NealsYardDairy #boroughmarket today 😊 https://t.co/DQYUmQLzrn 3 weeks ago
- RT @boroughmarket: Subtle, well-rounded Caerphilly with a fresh, lemony flavour @trethowansdairy #traderoftheweek bit.ly/2lghsif h… 3 weeks ago
Planning your Christmas Cheese?
Come and catch us if you can at our Christmas markets between now and Christmas – Borough Market, St Nicks & the Tobacco Factory (Bristol) or go to one of the very fine establishments that sell Gorwydd Caerphilly!
We are delighted to have just scooped a Super Gold medal at the World Cheese Awards!
It’s a very good day when you win 6 awards! We are chuffed to bits.
- Best Hard Speciality Cheese – TROPHY – Gorwydd
- Hard Cheese with Unpasteurised Milk – GOLD – Gorwydd
- Rind Washed Cheese – GOLD – Trethowan’s Wash Rind
- Territorial Cheese – SILVER – Gorwydd
- Caerphilly – SILVER – Gorwydd
- Crumbly Territorials (Retailer Class) M&S / Gorwydd – SILVER
Prepping the press
Thanks to Andre Pattenden for taking the lovely photos!
A very rare and brilliant opportunity to run our Borough Market stall has arisen.
The wonderful and talented children’s book illustrator Sam Usher has been running the stall extremely well for the last few years but as he becomes busier and busier (and more famous) with his books, he unfortunately has less time for cheese. We will be very sad to see him go – as will all his customers and fellow cheesemongers.
His departure does mean however that there is now an opening for a new cheesemongering stall holder. We are looking for someone who is interested in and loves cheese – and proper food generally (though all training will be given), seeking experience of running their own small business, is a ‘people person’, totally reliable, organised and self motivated, creative (good displays are really important) and a good sales person – in their own way. Attention to detail and being a stickler for food hygiene are also essential.
If you think it’s you we are looking for, either send a letter to Lucy@trethowansdairy.co.uk telling us all about you and why you would like to run the stall and what skills and experience you would bring to the role, or pop along to the stall on Friday or Saturday and have a chat to Sam about what is entailed. Continue reading
I think we have been providing cheese for this ceremony every year since we started cheese making and it’s one of the things we really love doing!
The Annual Ceremony of Christmas Cheeses has been taking place for more than 300 years, with Chelsea war veterans being supplied with a wide range of cheeses at the Royal Hospital Chelsea.
Here’s a bit of history about the ceremony http://www.history.uk.com/history/christmas-cheeses-chelsea/
And here’s some old Pathe footage http://bit.ly/1yjE9GV